What you need to know
All sections of CI-H and CI-HW subjects are capped at 18 or 25 students each. For CI-H subjects, all students are given equal priority regardless of their year and whether they have fulfilled the requirement. Students on waitlists for CI-HW subjects are placed in priority groups established by the Subcommittee on the Communication Requirement (SOCR) as follows:
- CI-HW Required upperclassmen who have not completed a CI-HW subject
- CI-HW Required first-year students who have not completed a CI-HW subject
- First-year students who have not completed a CI-H subject
- All other students
Some key points to remember:
- You are strongly encouraged to make offers to students in the highest priority group first.
- Preference within priority groups should be given to students who requested the CI-H/HW the last time it was offered but were not scheduled into it.
- Continuing students who added themselves to waitlists after the CI-H/HW deadline will be placed below all other priority groups.
- Administrators have access to planning reports, which can help your department estimate enrollment for each CI-H/HW subject before we run the scheduling algorithm.
- If the class is full, you cannot add students until registered students drop the subject.
What you need to do
- Department administrators — review planning reports for enrollment estimates and email us to request adjustments to caps.
- Instructors — go to the Enrollment Tools application.
- Make offers beginning on the first day of classes by clicking the “Offer” button.
- We recommend giving students 24 hours to act on your offer. After that time, you may rescind the offer if you do not receive a response.
- Click the “Close Waitlist” button when you no longer want to admit students to your class.