What you need to know
Because we prioritize academic use for all Registrar’s Office classrooms, timing is a key factor in fulfilling your ad hoc reservation requests.
Some key points to remember:
- We begin confirming ad hoc reservations after pre-registration opens for a given term.
- You cannot request reservations more than a year in advance. If you require a confirmed reservation this far in the future, we recommend reviewing our helpful list of non-classroom space for your event.
- To browse our classroom inventory or request a reservation, please go to Classrooms@MIT.
Term and subject planning cycle (by term)
Academic departments develop their course offerings months prior to the start of each term. Their requests take priority and involve a great deal of coordination in order to ensure that the rooms we assign can accommodate the capacity and technology needs of each class.
Below is a general outline of each term at MIT to help you understand our reservations timeline. Please refer to the Academic Calendar for the specific date range of each term.
The fall term runs from September to early January.
- Semester course offerings are developed during March and April.
- Pre-registration opens May 1st unless the 1st falls on a weekend.
- Ad hoc reservation requests are confirmed starting in mid-May.
Independent Activities Period (IAP)
IAP runs from January into early February.
- Course offerings are developed during October.
- Ad hoc reservation requests are confirmed starting in mid-November.
The spring term runs from February to early June.
- Course offerings are developed during October and November.
- Pre-registration opens December 1st unless the 1st falls on a weekend.
- Ad hoc reservation requests are confirmed starting in mid-December.
The summer term runs from June to early September.
- Course offerings are developed in December.
- Ad hoc reservation requests are confirmed starting in mid-January.