What you need to do

You are responsible for understanding and fulfilling all graduation requirements and must complete the following steps prior to the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP) degree meeting.

1. Submit your degree application.

Your SB degree is recommended by your department and approved at the CAP degree meeting. You must submit a degree application even if you plan on finishing your requirements by resolving an outstanding incomplete or OX grade, or through transfer credit for work completed at another school.

  • Go to WebSIS to submit a degree application for your SB degree.
  • Indicate whether you plan to attend Commencement, or pick up your diploma in Room 5-117 beginning the Tuesday after Commencement, or have your diploma mailed to you. You will be allowed to attend Commencement only if you provide this information.
  • The name on your diploma must be your legal name, but you may choose whether or not to include your middle name. Include accent marks, if applicable. 

Key deadlines

Late applications are subject to a fee. We recommend that you submit an application even if you are unsure you will finish. There is no fee for coming off a degree list.

2. Confirm and complete academic requirements.

In addition to the 17-subject General Institute Requirements, you must complete your SB requirements of 180-198 units, depending on major.

  • Review the degree requirements at the bottom of your grade report on WebSIS to confirm that you will have successfully completed them in prior terms or during your final term.
  • Submit a HASS Concentration Form by the deadline even if you plan to complete the concentration during your final term.
  • Contact us with questions about your GIR audit.
  • Contact your department administrator with questions about your major requirements.

What to do if you have not met the requirements

3. Clear degree holds.

Your degree may be held for unresolved financial obligations or conduct issues. Holds must be resolved before you can graduate.

  • Check WebSIS to confirm that there are no outstanding charges or past due balances on your student account.
  • Contact your student account counselor immediately if you have any pending departmental awards, unpaid sponsor billing, or outside scholarships.
  • If you have been involved in a conduct case, check with the Office of Student Conduct to ensure there are no outstanding sanctions that would prevent you from graduating.
  • If you have lived in an FSILG, you should check with the chapter’s treasurer to make sure that you have no unresolved obligations.

4. Complete loan exit counseling.

Graduating students who have borrowed through the Perkins, Technology, or Federal Direct Student Loan Programs must complete online exit counseling. If you fail to do so, your degree may be withheld.