What you need to know
When registration opens, meet with your advisor to finalize your academic plans for the term. Your registration is populated with your pre-registration selections, but it is not complete until your advisor or registration officer has given approval and you have submitted your selections online.
Some key points to remember:
- Before you submit your registration, you must clear any registration holds connected to outstanding obligations from prior terms.
- If you did not pre-register for a CI-H/HW subject, you will only be able to add yourself to waitlists for those subjects during registration.
- Undergraduates — if you are registered for fewer than 36 units, you are considered to be less than full-time. Learn how registration load can affect you.
- You must acknowledge terms and conditions before submitting your registration.
- Registrations submitted after the first week of term are subject to a $50 late fee, and failure to complete your registration by the end of the second week will result in the loss of student status.
- A petition ($100 late fee) is required to complete registration after the final deadline. Undergraduates — petition the Committee on Academic Performance. Graduate students — petition the Office of Graduate Education.
What you need to do
Follow these basic steps when you register for classes at MIT:
- Review registration dates and deadlines on the Academic Calendar.
- Meet with your advisor or departmental registration officer to discuss your subject selections for the term.
- If applicable, review cross-registration procedures to take classes at Harvard, Wellesley, or Massachusetts College of Art and Design.
- Once your advisor or registration officer has approved your subject selections, complete your registration online.
- View your official subject registrations on WebSIS beginning on the first day of classes and reference the Understanding your Schedule page to learn about choosing or switching sections.
- Go to WebSIS.
- Changes to your registration are made using our Add/Drop application. Be sure to check these on WebSIS to confirm accuracy.
- You are responsible for reviewing your registration carefully. Contact us regarding any discrepancies.
Key dates & deadlines
|Registration opens||Monday, August 27||9 AM|
|Student schedules generated||Friday, August 31|
|Registration Day||Tuesday, September 4|
|First day of classes||Wednesday, September 5|
|Official subject registrations available||Wednesday, September 5|
|Registration deadline ($50 fee)||Friday, September 7||11:59 PM|
|Petition required to complete registration||Friday, October 5||11:59 PM|