What you need to know
Wellesley students can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring semesters. In addition to the typical MIT subject offerings, the following programs are also open to Wellesley students: the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP); courses at Sloan School of Management through the Sloan bidding process; and physical education classes through the Department of Athletics, Physical Education & Wellness (PE&W), and Recreation (DAPER).
Some key points to remember:
- All cross-registered students must provide proof of their Covid-19 vaccination in MIT’s Covid Pass app.
- Each school has its own rules and deadlines. You must meet the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines — MIT’s or Wellesley’s.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. MIT’s term finishes later than Wellesley and grades for MIT classes may not be available before degree decisions are made.
- Subjects at MIT are letter-graded (A/B/C/D/F) or pass-fail (Pass/D/F). Consult with the Wellesley Registrar’s Office if you want to have a letter grade converted to Wellesley's credit/non-credit system.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only. They are not reported to the Wellesley Registrar’s Office.
- Review dates and deadlines on the MIT and Wellesley Academic Calendars. You must meet the earlier of the two deadlines for cross-registration and any subsequent add or drop.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Complete the Wellesley cross-registration form and have your MIT instructor sign it when your class meets for the first time.
- Submit your forms:
- After your forms are processed by MIT (typically 2-3 business days after receipt), you will receive an email confirmation with your MIT ID number.
- Upon receipt of your ID number, sign up for a Kerberos account.
- Install MIT certificates on your browser.
- Install MIT’s Covid Pass app and upload your proof of Covid-19 vaccination.
- Students who have previously cross-registered at MIT do not need to reupload, but we recommend visiting https://covidvaccine.mit.edu/ to confirm that your record is up to date.
- Go to MIT Card Services in Room E17-106 to obtain an ID card.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- Dropping an MIT subject is a two-step process: