What you need to know
Attendance and degree certifications are official documents typically used to confirm attendance or degrees awarded for employers, insurance companies, or to qualify for student discounts.
Some key points to remember:
- The certification can be mailed or emailed to you or a third party. It can also be held for you to pick up.
- Current students looking for proof of enrollment — see enrollment certifications.
A degree certification includes:
- Your full name while at MIT
- Start and end dates of your attendance
- MIT degree(s) awarded, if any
- The date you received your degree(s)
It can also include, upon request, your:
- Cumulative grade point average (GPA)
- Undergraduate quartile class rank
What you need to do
You may order a degree certification in person by visiting us in Room 5-117. In most cases, the certification can be produced on the spot. To order by mail or email, send us a request. Include:
- Your complete name (while at MIT)
- Your MIT ID number (if known)
- Your date of birth
- Approximate dates of attendance
- MIT degrees awarded (if any)
- The information you would like included in the certification
- Name and mailing or email address where you want the certification sent. If necessary, you may choose to have the certification sent via express shipping service.
- A daytime phone number or email address where you can be reached
- If you would like your certification to contain a GPA or undergraduate quartile class rank, your request must include a signature. A scanned signature attached to an email is acceptable.
MIT Registrar's Office, Room 5-117
77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA, 02139-4307