What you need to know
To receive credit toward the HASS Requirement for a subject not already designated as a HASS class, you must petition the CUP Subcommittee on the HASS Requirement. Only subjects taken for a letter grade will be accepted. Independent studies and internships are not eligible.
Here are a few examples of the types of subjects for which you may petition HASS Elective credit:
- Subjects taken through cross-registration at Harvard or Wellesley.
- Graduate subjects offered within the School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences.
- Six-unit subjects combined for HASS credit.
What you need to do
- Download and complete a HASS Requirement Petition.
- Obtain your advisor’s signature. You may wish to include materials to support your case: e.g. brief statement explaining request, syllabus, and statement of support from instructor.
- If your proposed substitution is a graduate subject, the instructor for the class will also need to sign your form.
- Submit your completed petition to email@example.com.
- Seniors in your final term — submit your petitions as soon as possible after finalizing your registration.
- We will notify you of our final decision by email.
Guidelines for 6-unit subjects
- You may combine two 6-unit Latin subjects (21L.611 and 21L.612, or 21L.613 and 21L.614) or two 6-unit Greek subjects (21L.607 and 21L.608) to form one HASS Humanities or HASS Elective subject by petition to the Subcommittee on the HASS Requirement.
- You may combine a maximum of four 6-unit performance subjects offered by Music and Theater Arts to form two 12-unit HASS subjects. You do not need a petition to fulfill the HASS Arts Distribution. It will appear automatically in your audit.
- To combine two 6-unit performance subjects for HASS Elective credit, email firstname.lastname@example.org for an audit adjustment.
- You may combine a maximum of four 6-unit literature samplings (except 21L.340 Pleasures of Poetry) to form two HASS subjects. You do not need a petition to use them to fulfill the HASS Humanities distribution. It will appear automatically in your audit. To count them as a HASS Elective, email email@example.com for an audit adjustment.
- If you have questions about how these 6-unit subjects are reflected in your audit, email firstname.lastname@example.org.