What you need to know

In order to receive a diploma for a double major, you must complete the General Institute Requirements (GIRs) and the requirements of both majors. You must also complete two CI-H subjects and two CI-M subjects to fulfill the communication component of each major.

To apply for a double major, you must be an undergraduate with a cumulative GPA of 4.0 or higher. Students with a lower GPA will be considered on a case-by-case basis and must provide a letter with their application explaining why an exception is justified. You must also have completed at least three terms, including at least one in a department with a declared major. Transfer students must complete at least two terms at MIT, including at least one in a department with a declared major.

If you are unable to complete all the requirements for both programs, you will need to choose between graduating with a single major and continuing until you complete the second. If you decide to graduate, you may not return to MIT to complete the second major. Those who continue beyond eight terms should check with Student Financial Services regarding the impact on their financial aid.

Some key points to remember:

  • You may not pursue a second major in the same area as your primary major or in either field of composite degrees.
  • If a subject is approved as CI-M in both majors, you may use it to fulfill the Communication Intensive component of both programs simultaneously, with the approval of the Subcommittee on the Communication Requirement (SOCR).

What you need to do — apply for a double major

  • Check your GPA eligibility by viewing your grade report on WebSIS.
  • Make note of special rules and deadlines for double majors including Course 2, Course 3, and Course 6 below.
  • Review Choosing to Double Major and develop an academic plan with your faculty advisor. 
  • Complete a Double Major Application and ask your faculty advisor to sign it.
  • Review your application and academic plan with an administrator or advisor from the second department and obtain their signature, if required.
  • Make three copies of your signed application: one for you and one for each department.
  • Submit your completed application to the Committee on Curricula (CoC) at curricula@mit.edu by Add Date of your second-to-last term. Late applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis at the CoC’s discretion.
  • To make changes to your double major, visit Changing a Major.

Special instructions — Course 6 MEng, Course 2, and Course 3

For applications including the Master of Engineering program in Course 6:

  • Be a currently registered undergraduate.
  • Apply before entering the graduate phase of the program, even if you expect to receive the SB at the same time as the MEng.

For applications including Course 2 or 2-A:

  • Your application must be signed by the Mechanical Engineering undergraduate officer.
  • No more than 24 units in the student-designed part of the 2-A program may be required subjects or restricted electives in the other major.
  • You must have an approved 2-A concentration proposal on file with the Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Office.

For applications including Course 3:

  • No more than 24 units in the Course 3 program may be applied toward the other major. 18.03 is the exception and can be applied to both programs above the 24 unit overlap limit.
  • Your application must be approved by the Course 3 Undergraduate Committee.