What you need to know
When you graduate, you can choose to receive a digital version of your diploma at no cost. It is sent as an email attachment that is coded and certifiable using blockcerts. The technology, which was developed in partnership with Learning Machine, uses the blockchain to both protect and verify your diploma.
Some key points to remember:
- While everyone receives a physical diploma, you must opt in and take action to receive a digital diploma.
- Download and secure your digital diploma using the Blockcerts Wallet mobile app.
- After the initial issuance, diplomas are issued on the first day of the month after you complete the below steps.
- If you previously received a digital diploma from MIT, you do not need you opt-in again and will automatically be included in the issuance for subsequent degrees.
- The window for receiving your digital diploma closes when your MIT Kerberos account is deactivated in January.
What you need to do
Complete these steps before graduation day to ensure that you receive your digital diploma as soon as it is available.
- Look for an email invitation from us before graduation.
- Download the Blockcerts Wallet app on your phone and create a free account.
- You will be issued a passphrase that allows you to maintain ownership of your blockchain-based records across multiple devices.
- Keep your passphrase somewhere safe. If you lose it, you will need to download the app again, obtain a new passphrase, and contact us to reissue your diploma.
- Click on the link in the email invitation to generate your unique public key and add MIT as an issuer.
- When your digital diploma has been issued, you will receive an email from MIT with a coded digital diploma file attached. Store this file wherever you keep important data.
- You can also click the link in the email to add the diploma to your Blockcerts Wallet.