What you need to know

Students typically declare a major by the end of their first year. Degree requirements for all major programs are outlined in the MIT Bulletin.

If you are considering changing your major, consult with the new department’s undergraduate academic officer or administrator to determine what subjects from your current major could be used to satisfy requirements for the new one.

You may also choose to declare a minor. MIT offers several interdisciplinary minors, in addition to minor programs in science; engineering; architecture and planning; management; and the humanities, arts, and social sciences. You can minor in up to two different fields, as long as the minors are not in the same field as your major. Check our minor guidelines for more information.