What you need to know
Harvard University students can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring terms. Students from Harvard Extension or Summer Schools are not eligible. Additionally, Harvard students may not cross-register for MIT’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP).
All new cross-registered students must be added to Covid Pass by uploading proof of their Covid-19 vaccination. Those who fail to comply will not be able to access campus, will not be able to attend classes, and will have their cross-registration cancelled.
Some key points to remember:
- If you were in Covid Pass previously, please visit covidapps.mit.edu to ensure that you are cleared for campus access.
- Each school has its own rules and deadlines. You must meet the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines — MIT’s or Harvard’s.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. MIT’s term finishes later than Harvard’s and grades for MIT classes may not be available before degree decisions are made.
- Taking MIT subjects on a pass/fail basis is open to undergraduates only, and only with the permission of the Harvard Registrar’s Office.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only. They are not reported to the Harvard Registrar’s Office.
- Review dates and deadlines on the MIT and Harvard Academic Calendars. Remember, you must meet the earlier of the two deadlines for cross-registration and any subsequent add or drop.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Follow Harvard's instructions to create and submit an online cross-registration petition.
- After your cross-registration petition is approved, you will receive an email with your Kerberos username and MIT ID number.
- Install MIT certificates on your browser.
- Download and/or open the Covid Pass app to review any vaccination requirements needed to access campus during the fall term.
- Once you have access to campus, go to MIT Card Services in Room E17-106 to obtain an ID card. You will need this card to enter MIT buildings.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or technical issues.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- If you wish to drop your MIT subject, you will need to follow Harvard’s procedures. Harvard will notify us of the drop.