What you need to know
Harvard University students can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring terms. Students from Harvard Extension or Summer Schools are not eligible. Additionally, Harvard students may not cross-register for MIT’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP).
Some key points to remember:
- Cross-registration for spring 2024 subjects at MIT begins on Monday, January 29. You must complete the process by the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines – MIT’s or Harvard’s.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. MIT’s term finishes later than Harvard’s and grades for MIT classes may not be available before degree decisions are made.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only. They are not reported to the Harvard Registrar’s Office.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Follow Harvard's instructions to create and submit a cross-registration petition.
- After your cross-registration petition is approved, you will receive an email with your Kerberos username and MIT ID number.
- Install MIT certificates on your browser.
- Go to MIT Card Services in Room E17-106 to obtain an ID card.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- If you wish to drop your MIT subject, you will need to follow Harvard’s procedures and email email@example.com to confirm the change.