What you need to know
Students from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt) and Brandeis can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring semesters. Cross-registration for Brandeis students is restricted to one or two subjects in urban studies (Course 11) at MIT.
MIT students interested in cross-registering at MassArt should visit the MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology (ACT).
All cross-registered students must be added to Covid Pass by providing proof of their Covid-19 vaccination, Covid-19 booster, and flu shot, and take part in MIT’s attestation and testing protocols. Those who fail to comply will not be able to access campus, will not be able to attend classes, and will have their cross-registration cancelled.
Some key points to remember:
- If you were in Covid Pass this fall, you will need to complete the updated requirements in order to attend classes on campus during the spring term.
- Each school has its own rules and deadlines. You must meet the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. Grades for MIT classes may not be available before your degree decision is made.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only; they are not reported to your home school.
- Review dates and deadlines on both MIT’s and your home school’s Academic Calendars. Remember, you must meet the earlier of the two deadlines for cross-registration and any subsequent add or drop.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Obtain the cross-registration form from your school’s registrar.
- MassArt students — you must file at both schools. Email your cross-registration form and completed Non-Institute Biographic Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by MIT's Add Date. Submit a copy of your cross-registration form to the appropriate office at MassArt.
- Brandeis students — Email your cross-registration form and completed Non-Institute Biographic Form to email@example.com by MIT's Add Date.
- The day after you submit your cross-registration form, email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your MIT ID number.
- Get added to Covid Pass by visiting covidapps.mit.edu, downloading the Covid Pass app, and following the on-screen instructions to upload your proof of Covid-19 vaccination and booster shot, and flu shot.
- Once you have access to campus, go to MIT Card Services in Room E17-106 to obtain an ID card. You will need this card to enter MIT buildings.
- Ongoing access will be dependent on following the attestation and testing protocols in the Covid Pass app. Note that testing from your home institution does not exempt you from testing at MIT.
- Email email@example.com with questions or technical issues.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- To drop your MIT subject, you must submit a request with your home registrar’s office, and they will notify us of the drop.