What you need to know
Students from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt) and Brandeis can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring semesters. Cross-registration for Brandeis students is restricted to one or two subjects in urban studies (Course 11) at MIT.
MIT students interested in cross-registering at MassArt should visit the MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology (ACT).
All new cross-registered students must be added to Covid Pass by uploading proof of their Covid-19 vaccination. Those who fail to comply will not be able to access campus, will not be able to attend classes, and will have their cross-registration cancelled.
Some key points to remember:
- If you were in Covid Pass previously, please visit covidapps.mit.edu to ensure that you are cleared for campus access.
- Each school has its own rules and deadlines. You must meet the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. Grades for MIT classes may not be available before your degree decision is made.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only; they are not reported to your home school.
- Review dates and deadlines on both MIT’s and your home school’s Academic Calendars. Remember, you must meet the earlier of the two deadlines for cross-registration and any subsequent add or drop.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Obtain the cross-registration form from your school’s registrar.
- MassArt students — you must file at both schools. Email your cross-registration form and completed Non-Institute Biographic Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by MIT's Add Date. Submit a copy of your cross-registration form to the appropriate office at MassArt.
- Brandeis students — Email your cross-registration form and completed Non-Institute Biographic Form to email@example.com by MIT's Add Date.
- The day after you submit your cross-registration form, email firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain your MIT ID number.
- Download and/or open the Covid Pass app to review any vaccination requirements needed to access campus during the fall term.
- Once you have access to campus, go to MIT Card Services in Room E17-106 to obtain an ID card. You will need this card to enter MIT buildings.
- Email email@example.com with questions or technical issues.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- To drop your MIT subject, you must submit a request with your home registrar’s office, and they will notify us of the drop.