What you need to know
Students from the Massachusetts College of Art and Design (MassArt) and Brandeis can take classes at MIT during the fall and spring semesters. Cross-registration for Brandeis students is restricted to one or two subjects in urban studies (Course 11) at MIT.
MIT students interested in cross-registering at MassArt should visit the MIT Program in Art, Culture and Technology (ACT).
Some key points to remember:
- Each school has its own rules and deadlines. You must meet the earlier of the two cross-registration and Add/Drop deadlines.
- We do not recommend cross-registering for an MIT class in your graduating term if your graduation depends on that class. Grades for MIT classes may not be available before your degree decision is made.
- MIT uses plus and minus grade modifiers for internal purposes only; they are not reported to your home school.
What you need to do
- Review dates and deadlines on both MIT’s and your home school’s Academic Calendars. Remember, you must meet the earlier of the two deadlines for cross-registration and any subsequent add or drop.
- Find class descriptions, meeting times, and locations for MIT subjects in the Subject Listing & Schedule.
- Obtain the cross-registration form from your school’s registrar.
- MassArt students — your cross-registration form must be filed at both schools. Submit one copy, including a completed Non-Institute Biographic Form, to the MIT Student Services Center in Room 11-120 by MIT's Add Date. Submit a second copy to the appropriate office at MassArt.
- Brandeis students — submit two copies of your cross-registration form and a completed Non-Institute Biographic Form to the MIT Student Services Center in Room 11-120 by MIT's Add Date.
- The day after you submit your cross-registration form(s), obtain your ID card from MIT Card Services in Room E17-106.
- Sign up for your MIT email (Athena) account and install MIT certificates on your browser to access your records on WebSIS and participate in our subject evaluation process.
- Add your emergency contact information to your personal record in WebSIS.
- To drop your MIT subject, you must submit a request with your home registrar’s office. Your home school will notify us of the drop.