What you need to know
The Academic Policy and Regulations Team (APART) has determined that a letter grading system with extra flexibility is in effect for IAP 2021.
Passing grades (A, B, C, and P) will be applied to a student’s record as outlined in the Faculty Rules & Regulations, while grades of D and F will be converted to D/NE and F/NE. Students assigned a grade of D/NE will have the option of electing to accept a grade of D in order to fulfill a requirement for graduation.
Students will not have the option of selecting one subject that is graded on a PE/NE scale as they did in the fall. However, if a student has chosen PE/NE for a subject that extends into IAP (i.e. 8.01L, 18.02A, etc.), that choice will be retained.
For more information, review the announcement from APART.
Some key points to remember:
- D or F grades will be converted to D/NE and F/NE.
- Students who receive a grade of D/NE have the option of changing to a standard D by Add Date of the Spring 2021 semester.
- D/NE and F/NE grades will appear on internal grade reports, but not on the external transcript and no academic credit will be received.
- Instructors will see the same dropdown options that are normally available (i.e., A, B, C, P, D, F, IE, O) on grade sheets with the exception of Incomplete (I) being replaced with IE.
Grading by year
- First-year students — You will be graded on the normal P/NR basis for all subjects during IAP.
- Juniors, seniors, and graduate students — The normal Jr/Sr P/D/F and Graduate P/D/F Options will be available during IAP.
- If a minor part of the requirements for a subject is not fulfilled, the instructor can assign a grade of IE, which provides a longer range for work to be completed.
- IE grades given during IAP 2021 must be resolved by the last day of final exams in spring 2021. When completed, they will reflect the relevant final grade (IE/letter grade, IE/PE, or PE/NE).
- Outstanding work from a prior semester that is completed this semester should be assigned a grade that was available in the prior semester.
- Undergraduates who receive an IE will be eligible to graduate.
- Graduate students can graduate with unresolved I or IE grades.
Key dates & deadlines
- March 19, 2021 (Add Date): Deadline to change a DE grade to D
- May 27, 2021 (last day of spring final exams): Deadline to resolve IAP 2021 IE grades
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org.