A research-intensive astrophysics course for sophomore and junior level students

Principal Investigator
Prof. Anna Frebel, Physics
Fund: Alumni Class Funds
Funding Period: AY2023
Department/Lab/Center: Physics

This proposal seeks to develop the in-class research project component of a new type of research-intensive undergrad course in the field of astrophysics. Students will do a research project (discovery of their own ancient 13 billion year old star and its origin story) in a guided fashion with the familiarity and structure provided by a traditional classroom experience (65% of the course). The other 35% are mini-lectures to provide the scientific/theoretical background to the project (stellar and nuclear astrophys., galaxy formation). Obtaining actual research results offers a low-barrier avenue for students with no preparation to break into the research cycle. It is also an important part of grad school applications, thus offering holistic science career development and mentoring support.