What you need to know
All graduating students can choose to receive a digital version of their diploma at no cost. It is sent as an email attachment that is coded and certifiable using MIT-developed blockcerts. The technology was developed in partnership with Learning Machine and uses the blockchain to both protect and verify your diploma.
Some key points to remember:
- All graduates will continue to receive a physical diploma.
- Use the Blockcerts Wallet mobile app to download and secure your digital diploma.
- As long as you have your Blockcerts Wallet passphrase, you can import your diploma to the app at any time and still prove that it belongs to you.
- If lost, passphrases are not retrievable.
What you need to do
- Check your email for a link to the Blockcerts Wallet mobile app shortly after graduation.
- Download Blockcerts Wallet on your phone and create a free account.
- You will be issued a passphrase that allows you to maintain ownership of your blockchain-based records across multiple devices.
- Store your passphrase somewhere safe. If you lose it, you will need to download the app again, obtain a new passphrase, and contact us to reissue your diploma.
- After installation, you will receive an email. Click on the link to generate your unique public key and add MIT as an issuer.
- Diplomas are issued on the first of the month after you complete the above steps. When your digital diploma is available, you will receive an email from MIT with a coded diploma file attached.
- Store your coded digital diploma file wherever you keep important data files.
- You can also click the link in the email to add the diploma to your Blockcerts Wallet.