What you need to know
When you graduate, you can choose to receive a digital version of your diploma at no cost. It is sent as an email attachment that is coded and certifiable using MIT-developed blockcerts. The technology, which was developed in partnership with Learning Machine, uses the blockchain to both protect and verify your diploma.
Some key points to remember:
- All graduates will continue to receive a physical diploma.
- Download and secure your digital diploma using the Blockcerts Wallet mobile app.
- After the initial issuance, diplomas are issued on the first of the month after you complete the below steps.
What you need to do
All graduating students will receive an email invitation from us. Complete these steps before graduation day to ensure that you receive your digital diploma as soon as it is available.
- Download the Blockcerts Wallet app on your phone and create a free account.
- You will be issued a passphrase that allows you to maintain ownership of your blockchain-based records across multiple devices.
- Keep your passphrase somewhere safe. If you lose it, you will need to download the app again, obtain a new passphrase, and contact us to reissue your diploma.
- After installation, go back to the initial email. Click on the link to generate your unique public key and add MIT as an issuer.
- When your digital diploma is available, you will receive an email from MIT with a coded digital diploma file attached. Store this file wherever you keep important data.
- You can also click the link in the email to add the diploma to your Blockcerts Wallet.
Use our digital diploma verification portal to authenticate credentials that have been written to the blockchain.