What you need to know
During your junior and senior years, you may register for a total of two elective subjects in which you choose to receive a P/D/F grade rather than standard letter grades. P (passing) indicates a C- or better.
Some key points to remember:
- You may take your two P/D/F classes in the same term or in separate terms, including IAP.
- Subjects designated as P/D/F cannot be used to fulfill General Institute Requirements, minor requirements, or departmental requirements.
- P/D/F subjects do count in the total of units completed beyond the General Institute Requirements.
- P grades are not used in calculating your term and cumulative GPAs, but D and F grades are.
- Registering for a subject specifically designated as P/D/F in the MIT Bulletin and Online Subject Listing does not count toward your junior-senior P/D/F option.
What you need to do
- Designate a subject as P/D/F during registration.
- After registration, request P/D/F changes through our Add/Drop application.
- An email notification will be sent to your advisor. He or she must approve your request.
- After your advisor has approved your request, return to the Add/Drop application to submit the change.
- After Add Date, submit change requests via petition. Petitions require the approval of your department and the Committee on Academic Performance (CAP).